Thursday, August 28, 2008

It's not JUST about the chickens


One of the philosophies I try to embrace is sustainable living. Getting the chickens was a further step towards what we started 8 yrs ago in our back 40 . . . feet that is. (This is Brooklyn, after all.) We have encouraged our tenants to contribute by giving them a house warming gift of a compost bucket. They have responded very positively. Their "trimmings" not only feed the "girls" but also feed the two compost bins we have. This year's produce has been spectacular. With tomatoes weighing in at 1 lb+. We've had squash galore, cucumbers for days. prolific peppers and green beans beyond number.

1 comment:

R and L said...

Hi BJ and Wende!
How's the farm? How are Le Girls? I need an update!
Chicago is going well but - you would just die - they don't have recycling! I know. it's so archaic. I'm making furniture out of my read newspapers and used cans. I can't bare to just throw them away.
I miss you guys! Hope all is well.
Love, Lauren