Saturday, September 12, 2009

A harvest like no other







I was away most of the summer "up the river" at the Bard Music Festival.
First I sang in Meyerbeer's opera "Les Huguenots"
after which the

Bard Music Festival was all about "Wagner and his World". In between weeks with four inch stiletto heels as a Catholic noblewoman I came home to check on the garden and the menagerie. Wende held down the fort very well; feeding and watering as instructed. Around about the end of July I harvested 30lbs of honey from the hive on my roof. Given the fact that the hive was started the day after Easter, this is miraculous. There's no guarantee that there will be a harvest the first year of a hive and there needs to be enough honey for the girlz to hold them through the winter. All in all I'm exceedingly pleased, and look forward to next year and more honey and learning about bees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! And sweeter harvesting next year. The El Nino predicted should give the "girlz" a mild winter in which to cope. But I don't know how you figure how much to leave behind for them (Bee-Keeping for Dummies?). I'm sure you've got it worked out. xxxooo Fran

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I wondered the same thing! (Fran sent your blog to all of us on her blast list...what fun!) Tres cool.
Roberta the sometimes poet.

Jen said...

hi. i love your blog! i recently moved to brooklyn and i am an urban homesteader from boulder, co. i couldn't find an email, but i noticed you have tenants. so i thought i would ask since i am looking for an apt that is homesteading friendly if you or anyone you know is looking for a renter?


you can find me at www.homesteadpretty.com
or
equalibre -at- gmail -dot- com

best,

jen

Troop 2440 said...

I love that you are harvesting honey wearing a bear t-shirt!!