Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Urban Gardener



As urban gardeners the biggest challenge one faces is space. This year I figured out a few ways to increase crop diversity and yield (see the previous blog entry). Last summer I found it possible to grow more cucumbers vertically than one family could possibly need/want, pickling not withstanding. And, my zucchini and yellow squash took over an entire walkway in the garden. I realized they all needed more horizontal space than actual root space. By trellising and what I refer to as my "body bags" on the roof I could add pole beans in pots against the back of the house and sugar baby water melons on the roof of the shed. Doing this left more room in raised beds for tomatoes, eggplant, etc. and a constant planting of lettuce throughout the summer.

No comments: