Saturday, May 17, 2008

At long last, the girls have arrived






















I've been dreaming about getting chickens now for months and months - and today my dream has come true! Thanks to Teddy, a farmer at the Fort Greene Greenmarket, I now have three girls: a Rhode Island Red, a Leghorn, and an Araucana. They've laid two eggs in the six hours since they arrived: brown and white. (Next up: a blue egg from the Araucana, and it'll be Easter every day!)
I had originally planned to build my own hen house from a pair of discarded shipping boxes, but it was too complicated and time-consuming. So I bought a Chick-N-Hutch and Chick-N-Pen from McMurray's Hatchery online and put it together a few days ago.
Yesterday I went to the Kensington Stables near Prospect Park here in Brooklyn and bought a bale of hay to dress up the girls' new home.
They're settling in nicely. The day's biggest challenge has been introducing our puppy Ellie to the girls...








No comments: